[R] setting weights for such a two-class problem in nnet and svm

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 18:56:12 CEST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Baoqiang Cao wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have such a two-class problem, one class is very large(~98% of total),
> and the other is just 2%. According to manual of nnet, I need setup
> "weights", so I intend to set 1 for class one, 49 for class 2. How do I
> do that? Just weights=49?

I do not know what you mean by `manual of nnet', but no, not that since
the help page says

   weights: (case) weights for each example - if missing defaults to 1.

More likely you want ifelse(class==1, 1/49, 1).

However, there is more to it than that, and do please read the reference
books on the help page.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk