[R] bubble.plot() - standardize size of unit circle

Dan Bebber danbebber at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 16:20:13 CEST 2005

Thanks Martin- I didn't know about the sunflowerplot
function. Somehow I prefer the look of bubbles, but I
guess you're right about the visual perception. Will
have to read up on it.

Dan

--- Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
wrote:

> Hi,

> writes:
>
>     Dan> Hello,
>     Dan> I wrote a wrapper for symbols() that
> produces a
>     Dan> bivariate bubble plot, for use when
> plot(x,y) hides
>     Dan> multiple occurrences of the same x,y
> combination (e.g.
>     Dan> if x,y are integers).
>     Dan> Circle area ~ counts per bin, and circle
> size is
>     Dan> controlled by 'scale'.
>
> I'm not answering your question, but still, I need
> to ask/tell
> this:
>
> Why don't use  sunflowerplot() instead?
>
> The excellent researchers who invented sunflower
> plots in the
> late 70s early 1980s knew well about "bubble"
> alternatives and
> much about drawbacks of such bubbles
> {mainly the perception laws of areas vs lengths ..}
>
> That's why they came up with the sunflowers as
> improvement ..
> See 'References' in   help(sunflowerplot)
>
> Regards,
> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
>

>     Dan> Question: how can I automatically make the
> smallest
>     Dan> circle the same size as a standard plot
> character,
>     Dan> rather than having to approximate it using
> 'scale'?
>
>     Dan> #Function:
>     Dan>

bubble.plot<-function(x,y,scale=0.1,xlab=substitute(x),ylab=substitute(y),...){
>     Dan> z<-table(x,y)
>     Dan> xx<-rep(as.numeric(rownames(z)),ncol(z))
>     Dan>
> yy<-sort(rep(as.numeric(colnames(z)),nrow(z)))
>     Dan> id<-which(z!=0)
>     Dan>

symbols(xx[id],yy[id],inches=F,circles=sqrt(z[id])*scale,xlab=xlab,ylab=ylab,...)}