[R] bubble.plot() - standardize size of unit circle

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 22 16:09:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

    Dan> Hello,
    Dan> I wrote a wrapper for symbols() that produces a
    Dan> bivariate bubble plot, for use when plot(x,y) hides
    Dan> multiple occurrences of the same x,y combination (e.g.
    Dan> if x,y are integers).
    Dan> Circle area ~ counts per bin, and circle size is
    Dan> controlled by 'scale'.

I'm not answering your question, but still, I need to ask/tell
this:

Why don't use  sunflowerplot() instead?

The excellent researchers who invented sunflower plots in the
late 70s early 1980s knew well about "bubble" alternatives and
much about drawbacks of such bubbles
{mainly the perception laws of areas vs lengths ..}

That's why they came up with the sunflowers as improvement ..
See 'References' in   help(sunflowerplot)

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich