[R] Fwd: Re: East Asian language

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 14:31:56 CEST 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Pingping Zheng wrote:
>
>> I think what Nan Lin wanted is "How to change the language used in R
>> console by re-setting something within R?"
>>
>> For a non-english user, sometime we prefer to set the system default
>> language to a native one and use english in individual programs when
>> we think necessary.
>>
>> a) setting the envrionment variable LANGUAGE=en will make an impact
>>      on the whole system, which has its side effects.

I'd like to see your evidence for that.  gettext deliberately chose
LANGUAGE because it was not commonly used, and I know of no application
other than those based on gettext (like R) which makes use of it.  It is
not at all common for Windows applications to use such environment
variables unless they are ported from the Unix world.

>> b) changing language setup through control panel is telling people to throw
>>      away their native windows system, let's all use English system.
>>
>> Any better idea?
>
> What about setting LANGUAGE in .Renviron?
> See ?.Renviron

Or reading the rw-FAQ Q2.17 and seeing other ways to do so.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk