[R] Boxcox transformation / homogeneity of variances

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 10:46:28 CEST 2005

Please consult the reference on the help page of that function: it _is_
support software for a book.  It implements the Box-Cox procedure (as it
says).  The original Box-Cox paper has three aims, two of which you have
mentioned (but perhaps the most inportant one is the one you
have not mentioned, additivity).

It is probably worth stressing that the Box-Cox procedure is about finding
the best transformation within a specific family for fitting a particular
_model_ to a set of data, not for the data per se.  There is a long
history of people using an inappropriate model and finding an
uninterpretable transformation.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk