[R] Boxcox transformation / homogeneity of variances

Arnaud Dowkiw arnaud.dowkiw at orleans.inra.fr
Wed Jul 13 10:18:58 CEST 2005

Dear r-helpers,

Prior to analysis of variance, I ran the Boxcox function (MASS library) to
find the best power transformation of my data. However, reading the Boxcox
help file, I cannot figure out if this function (through its associated
log-likelihood function) corrects for * normality only * or if it also
induces * homogeneity of variances *. I found in Biometry (Sokal and Rohlf,
p. 419) that the box-cox transformation can be extended to induce
homogenity of variances in conjunction with Bartlett's test of homogeneity
of variances. Does the Boxcox function implemented in R refer to this
extension ?
Thanks a lot,

Arnaud DOWKIW
INRA