[R] R on kubuntu

Douglas Bates dmbates at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 17:20:58 CEST 2005

On 7/11/05, Henrik Andersson <h.andersson at nioo.knaw.nl> wrote:
> However according to:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/math/r-base
>
> you will have to live with R version 2.0.1 until the next version of
> Ubuntu is released. (If I understood the Ubuntu policy...)
>
> Or is there some other repository providing more updated binaries for
> Ubuntu 5.04?

It's possible to install the latest packages from the Debian
repository but awkward.  You would need to add a debian/testing or
debian/unstable repository to /etc/apt/sources.list and configure apt
to use the Ubuntu archives unless you explicitly require the testing
or unstable version of a package.  I think that trying to install such
a version will require you to update your entire compiler tool chain,
which may be more effort than you want to make.

I just recently installed Kubuntu on a machine and will, if I manage
to get the hardware working, do another today.  If that works I try
instaling  r-base-dev/unstabl and report back to the r-sig-debian
mailing list.

(Note that there is a special mailing list for Debian-related
questions and I am moving this thread to that list.)