[R] Update on SuSE-9.2 fails

Thomas Schönhoff tschoenhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:54:15 CEST 2005

Hi,

yesterday, I switched to newest version of R-2.1.1 by using YAst to
install necessary SuSE-rpms from a separate local directory. So far ,
so good.

Afterwards I tried to find out if there are any updates for add-on
packages, and of cause there were some of them requiring a
refreshment.

Following this procedure: (as root) R> update.packages()

most packages were upgraded without complaint. Nevertheless, at least
some of them failed to do so:

Matrix, debug, eha, fBasics, glmmML, mgcv, tseries,lme4

So, I've looked up mailinglists archive to find a quick fix suggested
by B.D. Ripely, copying  R binary from /usr/bin/R to /usr/lib/R/bin
(due to problems in hard-coded paths, IIRC).

Well, that's exactly what I did without any merit, so far!

So I started to re-install above mentioned packages, ending up where I
was before by:

#R> install.packages("package", dependencies=TRUE)

---------------------------------error message-----------------------

1: installation of package 'Matrix' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contribute =
contriburl,

Seems like I am stuck for the moment, any suggestions to head on?

My system:

SuSE-9.2
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686