[R] svd error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 18:46:13 CET 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, WU,TONGTONG wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I met a probem recently and need your help.  I would really appreciate
> it.
>
>  I kept receiving the following error message when running a program:
>
> 'Error in svd(X) : infinite or missing values in x'.
>
> However, I did not use any svd function in this program though I did
> include the function pseudoinverse.  Is the problem caused by doing
> pseudoinverse?

Where did you find that function?  It is not part of R as it ships, and it
*may* be part of GeneTS, where it calls svd after squaring the matrix.
But there are simpler pseudoinverse functions (e.g. ginv in MASS) that
will not introduce that error.

The tool you needed was traceback(): try it to see what it tells you here.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk