[R] A "rude" question

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 10:23:44 CET 2005

Hi

I don't know if you are asking the question for the same reasons I did,
but recently (and ongoing) we have been required to adopt an
internationally recognised standard.  Being in the bioinformatics field,
where open-source software is the beating heart of cutting edge
research, we have obviously had to ask ourselves that exact question -
"How can we be sure the software we use works?".

In science, this doesn't just apply to software though.  When someone
publishes a paper, how can any of us be sure they did what they said
they did?  Or that their methods are the correct ones to use?  Luckily,
there is a two word answer that we hope will satisfy our auditors, and
that is "Peer Review".  In the context of R, I would say that you could
put a confidence measure on any package based on the number of people
who use it; the more people who use a package, the more likely they are
to find and remove bugs.

I won't get into the "open source" vs "commercial" argument, but put
simply, all software has bugs at some stage, no matter who has written
it.  Given that fact, I prefer the code to be open so I can see them,
not closed so that I can't.  The fact that we can see all code relating
to R is surely the biggest quality measure of all?

Cheers
Mick