[R] Installing R on Xandros 3.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jan 14 06:24:23 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:33:33PM -0500, Mohamed Abdolell wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> [1] go to http://packages.debian.org/testing/math/ and download r-base and other
> essential packages to your computer
> [2] install packages using Xandros Networks; from the pull-down menu select
> File-->Install DEB file...

That's is one way, but I'd prefer another one. The main alternative would be
to point apt-get to the proper Debian sources, then use 'apt-get update' and
'apt-get install' as it opens the door to the other 40 or 50 CRAN packages a
few of use have packaged.

I can't help with the Xandros specifics; under Debian you'd edit
/etc/apt/sources.list -- but you need to know what Debian flavour
corresponds to your Xandros version. If it is Debian testing, you're set.

Maybe a local Linux user group at U Conn can help you with these steps.

> [3] once you have a functional R 2.0.1 working install the rest of the packages
> you want directly from within R using install.packages (see help for this); this
> is best since all the dependencies are sorted out automatically

But it doesn't deal with Build-Depends; installing binary Debian packages
where available is a lot easier.

Hope this helps, and good luck, Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers