[R] R-etiquette

Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 19:44:58 CET 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
> :
> : On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Anne wrote:
> :
> : > I'm about to present a report (for internal use of governmental agency).
> : > I used extensively R , contibuted packages, as well as communications on
> : > the R-list
> : >
> : > As well as citing R, I would like to know how to cite the contributed
> : > packages (it is not so easy, as some have been used exensively, other
> : > marginally, some are called from another package and some were not used
> : > as softwares but gave me insight of how to proceed), as well as thank
> : > the persons who generously responded to my demands on the list...
> : >
> : > Is there an established way of doing that?
> :
> : See the citation() function, which works for packages too and a few
> : authors have taken advantage of the means of customizing it.
>
> Could someone point out a few packages that have a CITATION file
> to use as examples.  In a search I did I only found one.

It seems you need to learn how to search, as there are *4* in a basic
installation of R.

gannet% find . -name CITATION
./lmtest/inst/CITATION
./geoR/inst/CITATION
./geoRglm/inst/CITATION
./flexmix/inst/CITATION
./strucchange/inst/CITATION
./dse/dse1/inst/CITATION
./VR/class/inst/CITATION
./VR/MASS/inst/CITATION
./VR/nnet/inst/CITATION
./VR/spatial/inst/CITATION
./limma/inst/CITATION

Note too that citation() works without a CITATION file and provides a
basis for customization.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk