[R] suse 9.1 x86_64 rpms?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Jan 8 20:22:14 CET 2005

Kristian Eric Markon <mark0060 at tc.umn.edu> writes:

> I noticed on the mailing list archives and through Google searches
> that a couple of months ago there was discussion of maintaining rpms
> for suse 9.1 on the x86_64 architecture.
>
> Are these rpms still planning on being released? It would help me a
> great deal.

Detlef Steuer is the only one to know...

> I've tried compiling from source using the R-base spec files provided
> on CRAN. Using that, I am able to produce a running version of R, but
> readline doesn't seem to be working, nor does x11(). Moreover, I'm not
> sure that the compiled version is actually running in 64-bit mode.
> I've double-checked all the required libraries, and I seem to have
> them all to the correct version number (including readline and xfree).

It'll be 64-bit alright unless you take explicit steps to the contrary.
If you want to make d*mn sure, calculate the size of an Ncell from the
gc() output (56 bytes on 64bit 28 bytes otherwise).

Compiling on SuSE 9.1 *does* work, but you seem to be missing a couple
of RPMs in your installation. Usual suspects are the ones that end
with -devel, such as

alsa-devel-1.0.3-36
db1-devel-1.85-78
esound-devel-0.2.33-30
fontconfig-devel-2.2.92.20040221-24
freetype2-devel-2.1.7-46
glibc-devel-2.3.3-63
glib-devel-1.2.10-337
gnome-libs-devel-1.4.1.7-614
gtk-devel-1.2.10-488
ImageMagick-devel-5.5.7-225.9
imlib-devel-1.9.14-180.11
libglade2-devel-2.0.1-437
libglade-devel-0.17-190
libpng-devel-1.2.5-182.10
libstdc++-devel-3.3.3-33
libxml2-devel-2.6.7-28.7
libxml-devel-1.8.17-366.4
mozilla-devel-1.6-53
ncurses-devel-5.4-61.3
orbit-devel-0.5.17-330
pstoedit-devel-3.33-161
readline-devel-4.3-301
tcl-devel-8.4.6-23
tk-devel-8.4.6-28
xforms-devel-1.0-259
XFree86-devel-32bit-9.1-200404070910
XFree86-devel-4.3.99.902-30
XFree86-Mesa-devel-4.3.99.902-30
zlib-devel-1.2.1-70.6

Those are what I have, some are irrelevant, but at least the readline,
ncurses, XFree86, and tcl/tk are crucial for compiling a "normal" R,
and several of the others are needed for Gnome support, the Mesa stuff
for RGL, etc. (Hmm... looks like I'm actually missing the bzip2
headers myself).