[R] suse 9.1 x86_64 rpms?

Sat Jan 8 20:19:29 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 12:28 -0600, Kristian Eric Markon wrote:
> I noticed on the mailing list archives and through Google searches that
> a couple of months ago there was discussion of maintaining rpms for suse
> 9.1 on the x86_64 architecture.
>
> Are these rpms still planning on being released? It would help me a
> great deal.
>
> I've tried compiling from source using the R-base spec files provided on
> CRAN.

You do not need the spec files if you are compiling from source, only if
you want to build an RPM.

In the latter case, from a search of the archives, there are comments
regarding some fine tuning of the default spec files needed for 64-bit.

> Using that, I am able to produce a running version of R, but
> readline doesn't seem to be working, nor does x11(). Moreover, I'm not
> sure that the compiled version is actually running in 64-bit mode. I've
> double-checked all the required libraries, and I seem to have them all
> to the correct version number (including readline and xfree).

More than likely, depending upon what you have actually done with
respect to compiling, you are missing the 'devel' versions of readline
and XFree86.

You might want to check to see if you have readline-devel and XFree86-
devel installed. These will be required to compile from source:

rpm -q readline-devel
rpm -q XFree86-devel

If nothing is returned from the above in a console, you need to install
them.

> The 32-bit rpms run on a 32-bit install of suse 9.1 on a different
> machine, but not on the 64-bit install of suse 9.1 on a x86_64 machine.
> I suspect some of my problems have to do with libraries being in
> different places in the 64-bit version of suse 9.1.

Possible, but not likely, as I suspect others running 64 bit SuSE would
have reported issues and posts in the archive suggest that the
normal ./configure, make, make install sequence works.

The key is to make sure that the devel versions of the required
libraries are installed and that the full tool chain is 64 bit.

> I could spend more time trying to compile it on my machine--and probably
> will, but I thought I would ask about any possible official distribution
> of rpms for suse 9.1 x86_64 first.
>
> Thanks.

Try the above first. When you run ./configure, pay attention to the
output, which should look something like the following:

R is now configured for <x86_64 version of linux>

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /usr/local

  C compiler:                gcc  -g -O2
  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:          g77  -g -O2

  Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic)
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG
  Options enabled:           R profiling

  Recommended packages:      yes

Note the lines labeled "Interfaces supported" and "External libraries"
indicating that both X11 and readline are present. If these are missing,
it reinforces the lack of the devel packages.

BTW, greetings from Eden Prairie...  :-)

HTH,

Marc Schwartz