[R] Rcmd check Error help

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Jan 6 01:13:14 CET 2005

McGehee, Robert <Robert.McGehee <at> geodecapital.com> writes:

:
: R-help,
: I'm the primary developer for an increasingly large R package with over
: three thousand lines of code. Unfortunately, do the complexity of the
: code, I sometimes am required to change several interoperating parts of
: the package before testing for bugs and performance. And sometimes
: unnoticed syntax errors slip in that cause Rcmd check / INSTALL to fail
: with such messages as:
:
: Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 223
: Execution halted
:
: My question: what file should I be checking for line 223? When running
: Rcmd INSTALL, the previous version is restored on an install fail, so I
: can't check the install directory, the Rcmd check directory only
: produces two log files, and my R-package has at least a dozen files to
: choose from.
:
: Aside from brute force commenting out file by file until the syntax
: error disappears (certainly a wasteful use of time), how can I find out
: where my error is?

Try concatenating your .R files into one:

   copy *.R all.R

and check the line number in all.R. If that does not work rerun
the Rcmd INSTALL with all.R instead of the individual files.