[R] Rcmd check Error help

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Wed Jan 5 23:51:47 CET 2005

R-help,
I'm the primary developer for an increasingly large R package with over
three thousand lines of code. Unfortunately, do the complexity of the
code, I sometimes am required to change several interoperating parts of
the package before testing for bugs and performance. And sometimes
unnoticed syntax errors slip in that cause Rcmd check / INSTALL to fail
with such messages as:

Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error on line 223
Execution halted

My question: what file should I be checking for line 223? When running
Rcmd INSTALL, the previous version is restored on an install fail, so I
can't check the install directory, the Rcmd check directory only
produces two log files, and my R-package has at least a dozen files to
choose from.

Aside from brute force commenting out file by file until the syntax
error disappears (certainly a wasteful use of time), how can I find out
where my error is?

Thank you,
Robert

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

Robert McGehee
Geode Capital Management, LLC
53 State Street, 5th Floor | Boston, MA | 02109
Tel: 617/392-8396    Fax:617/476-6389
mailto:robert.mcgehee at geodecapital.com

This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended for use by the
addressee(s) only and may contain information that is (i) confidential
information of Geode Capital Management, LLC and/or its affiliates,
and/or (ii) proprietary information of Geode Capital Management, LLC
and/or its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or if you have otherwise received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify me by telephone (you may call collect), or by e-mail,
and please permanently delete the original, any print outs and any
copies of the foregoing. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited.