[R] read.table

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Feb 25 21:11:48 CET 2005

I have a commonly recurring problem and wondered if folks would share
tips.  I routinely get tab-delimited text files that I need to read in.
  In very many cases, I get:

 > a <- read.table('junk.txt.txt',header=T,skip=10,sep="\t")
Error in scan(file = file, what = what, sep = sep, quote = quote, dec =
dec,  :
	line 67 did not have 88 elements

I am typically able to go through the file and find a single quote or
something like that causing the problem, but with a recent set of
files, I haven't been able to find such an issue.  What can I do to get
around this problem?  I can use perl, also....

Thanks,
Sean