[R] Hosting a R Graph Gallery?

p.murrell@auckland.ac.nz p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 22 19:42:51 CET 2005

Hi

> Hi,
>
> About any graph gallery:
> Philippe Grojean and me did have made some work. Our goal was to add a
> clip
> library to the SciViews project that would offer access to a graph
> gallery.
> I was workiong on the production of the gallery, where as Philippe is
> still
> working on his GUI API. One of the goal is to have automatic wizards to
> make easier the creation of a graphic.
>
> Here was our approach and some thoughts:
>
> - We should propose a format for a description file. Here are some
> elements
> that should be gathered for each graphic function:
>          - Name of the function (*)
>          - Name of the produced graphic (*)
>          - Description of the graphic (*)
>          - Number of variables (univariate / bivariate / multivariate...)
>          - Types of variables
>          - Sample code (sample graph) (*)
>          - Package (*)
> The (*) are some information already available in Rd files (except maybe
> sample graph).
>
> - If someone deos something, I think it would be useful to ensure that all
> is reusable. We should focus on describing graphics. Then, for example,
> SciViews could use the information to create a usable graph gallery.

Along similar lines, it would be useful if gallery entries could be
submitted as a plain text or maybe an XML file.  Something like:

<plot title="blah">
  <desc>yadda yadda</desc>
  <code>plot(1)</code>
</plot>
<plot title="blah blah">
  <desc>yadda yadda yadda</desc>
  <code>plot(2)</code>
</plot>

This would allow people with existing sets of plots to generate an entire
set of gallery submissions automagically from a script.  It would also
make it feasible to automagically generate gallery entries from the
examples in packages such as graphics and lattice.

If the central gallery repository actually stored the gallery entries in
this sort of format (or possibly even in a database) then the gallery
itself could be automagically "published" in a variety of different
formats via scripts (e.g., web pages for display, web pages for editing
entries, an enormous PDF document, an R package, ...).

Paul