[R] Two-factorial Huynh-Feldt-Test

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 18 10:27:52 CET 2005

Bela Bauer <bela_b at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on porting some SAS scripts to R, and hence need
> to do the same calculation (and get the same results) as SAS in order
> to make the transition easier for users of the script.
> In the script, I'm dealing with a two-factorial repeated-measures
> anova. I'll try to give you a short overview of the setup:
>
> - two between-cell factors: facBetweenROI (numbering regions of
> interest, 6 levels) and facBetweenCond (numbering conditions, 2
> levels).
> - one within-cell factor: facWithin (which numbers subjects, while
> subjects are considered repetitions of the same measurement). This is
> basically the repeatedness of the data.
>
> For this data, I do anovas for several linear models. SAS also
> calculates the Huynh-Feldt-Test, which is in this case very important
> to the users and cannot be replaced with nlme or something of the kind
> (as recommended in
> http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/03b/0813.html.

[There's no "Huynh-Feldt-Test", there's a H-F epsilon, which is a
correction to the F test]

> The models I use for the anovas are the following:
>
> aov(vecData ~ (facWithin + facBetweenROI + facBetweenCond)^2)
> aov(vecData ~ facBetweenROI + facBetweenCond %in% facWithin +
> Error(facBetweenROI %in% facWithin))
> aov(vecData ~ facBetweenCond + facBetweenROI %in% facWithin +
> Error(facBetweenCond %in% facWithin))
>
> SAS seems to calculate the Huynh-Feldt test for the first and the
> second model. The SAS output is (for the second aov)

Would you happen to know what logic SAS uses to recognize cases  where
the corrections apply?  I thought it only did it in the case of
repeated measurements, as in

proc glm;
        model bmc2-bmc7=bmc1 grp / nouni;
        repeated time ...

> Source                    DF   Type III SS   Mean Square  F Value  Pr > F
>
>  roi                        5   258.7726806    51.7545361    21.28  <.0001
>  Error(roi)                95   231.0511739     2.4321176
>
>                                            Adj Pr > F
>                   Source                 G - G     H - F
>
>                   roi                   <.0001    <.0001
>                   Error(roi)
>

>                    Greenhouse-Geisser Epsilon    0.5367
>                    Huynh-Feldt Epsilon           0.6333
>
> and for the first one:
>
> Source                    DF   Type III SS   Mean Square  F Value  Pr > F
>
>  ord                        1     2.2104107     2.2104107     0.24  0.6276
>  Error(ord)                19   172.7047994     9.0897263
>

>  Source                    DF   Type III SS   Mean Square  F Value  Pr > F
>
>  roi*ord                    5   10.37034918    2.07406984     2.89  0.0180
>  Error(roi*ord)            95   68.25732255    0.71849813
>
>                                            Adj Pr > F
>                   Source                 G - G     H - F
>
>                   roi*ord               0.0663    0.0591
>                   Error(roi*ord)
>
> Now, to do this in R, I have a short (and not very thorough)
> description of it in "Lehrbuch der Statistik", Bortz and I have the
> script from http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/03b/7891.html
> Still, I can't figure out how to do this correctly in the
> two-factorial way (and with the different models that SAS seems to
> use.) I'll attach my code at the end, in case there's something that
> makes sense about it. I've tried to do it in several ways, but this is
> the only one that gives a somewhat reasonable result.
>
> Can anyone give me a suggestion of how I could do this, where I could
> find information about it etc? Google doesn't help much except more
> SAS examples...:-(

I went looking recently and all *I* got was SPSS examples... As it
turned out, Jon Baron/Yuelin Li has the H-F and G-G calculations
neatly outlined with R code and everything in

http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/rpsych.pdf