[R] bVar slot of lmer objects and standard errors

Douglas Bates dmbates at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:05:20 CET 2005

On 12/29/05, Doran, Harold <HDoran at air.org> wrote:
> Uli:
>
> The graphic in the paper, sometimes called a catepillar plot, must be
> created with some programming as there is (as far as I know) not a
> built-in function for such plots. As for the contents of bVar you say
> the dimensions are 2,2,28 and there are two random effects and 28
> schools. So, from what I know about your model, the third dimension
> represents the posterior covariance matrix for each of your 28 schools
> as Spencer notes.
>
> For example, consider the following model
> > library(Matrix)
> > library(mlmRev)
> > fm1 <- lmer(math ~ 1 + (year|schoolid), egsingle)
>
> Then, get the posterior means (modes for a GLMM)
> > fm1 at bVar$schoolid
>
> These data have 60 schools, so you will see ,,1 through ,,60 and the
> elements of each matrix are posterior variances on the diagonals and
> covariances in the off-diags (upper triang) corresponding to the
> empirical Bayes estimates for each of the 60 schools.
>
> , , 1

> [1,] 0.01007129 -0.001272618
> [2,] 0.00000000  0.004588049

I'd have to go back and check but I think that these are the upper
triangles of the symmetric matrix (as Spencer suggested) that are the
conditional variance-covariance matrices of the two-dimensional
random effects for each school up to a scale factor.  That is, I think
each face needs to be multiplied by s^2 to get the actual
variance-covariance matrix.