[R] bVar slot of lmer objects and standard errors

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Dec 29 15:37:18 CET 2005

Uli:

The graphic in the paper, sometimes called a catepillar plot, must be
created with some programming as there is (as far as I know) not a
built-in function for such plots. As for the contents of bVar you say
the dimensions are 2,2,28 and there are two random effects and 28
schools. So, from what I know about your model, the third dimension
represents the posterior covariance matrix for each of your 28 schools
as Spencer notes.

For example, consider the following model
> library(Matrix)
> library(mlmRev)
> fm1 <- lmer(math ~ 1 + (year|schoolid), egsingle)

Then, get the posterior means (modes for a GLMM)
> fm1 at bVar$schoolid

These data have 60 schools, so you will see ,,1 through ,,60 and the
elements of each matrix are posterior variances on the diagonals and
covariances in the off-diags (upper triang) corresponding to the
empirical Bayes estimates for each of the 60 schools.

, , 1

[1,] 0.01007129 -0.001272618
[2,] 0.00000000  0.004588049

Does this help?