[R] priority of operators in the FOR ( ) statement

P Ehlers ehlers at math.ucalgary.ca
Tue Aug 23 12:51:33 CEST 2005

Since there is nothing wrong with

for(i in 1:nr - 1)

R can't really do much more than point to where your code
fails due your incorrect assumption about operator precedence.
You're certainly not the first to fall into this trap. But it's
not that hard to diagnose. Anytime I have problems with a loop,
I do three simple things:

1. for(i in whatever) print(i)
2. look at what traceback() says
3. step through the loop "by hand".

The first test would have told you (in much less than an
"entire evening") what the problem was.

Peter Ehlers