[R] axTicks and window resizing

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 18:17:10 CEST 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Dear listers,
>
> I have written a function to facilitate the drawing of altitude profiles
> with x (distance), y (altitude) and a z  parameter (altitude magnification).
>
> profplot<-function(x,y,z=10,...){
> op <- par()$mai
> par(mai=c(0.95625,0.76875,0.76875,0.95625))
> plot(x,y*z, type="l",asp=1,las=1,xlab="",ylab="",yaxt="n",...)
> axis(2,labels=axTicks(2)/z,las=1)
> axis(4,labels=axTicks(2)/z,las=1)
> on.exit(par(mai=op))
> }
>
> This worked apparently well until I had to resize the graphical window
> after plotting. In this case, I get this message:
>
> >  profplot(prof$dist,prof$alt,col="blue")
> > Erreur : les longueurs de 'at' et de 'label' diffèrent, 7 != 8
>
> Which means Error: length of 'at' and "label' differ, 7!=8 (whish R
> 2.1.1 could be parametrise 'English' even with a French Windows XP!!!!)

If I understand you correctly, it can.  Just add LANGUAGE=en to the
shortcut.

> At this stage, R crashes (= I cannot get the graphic window
> working/resized and must interrupt the process from Windows XP, then
> restart R for good work with the graphical window).
>
> The error occur with the difference between the tick number computed
> from plot() and the one computed with axTicks(). If still equal (slight
> resizing) everything goes smoothly.

The problem is that you need to specify 'at' and 'labels' to axis(): you
cannot safely specify just labels.  When re-drawing, 'at' is recomputed,
but your specification of 'labels' is not.

I suspect you can just do dev.off() and open a new graphics window.