[R] (part III) computationally singular

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 19:31:56 CEST 2005

Sorry, our emails crossed...

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Weiwei Shi wrote:

> I think the problem might be caused two variables are very correlated.
> Should I check the cov matrix and try to delete some?

In this case, taking principal components should do the job.
Variable deletion may help as well - I am not extremely against it, it
depends on your whole project and aim, but I would not start with that
before I found out if there are more "proper" possibilities.

> But i am just not quite sure of your reply. Could you detail it with some
steps?

Look up all std.devs of the variables.
If the ratio between the largest one and the smallest one is more than,
let's say, 1e5, consider that as "not healthy". Multiply the variables
with the smallest std.devs with constants so that the ratio between
largest and smallest std.dev is not more than 1e3, say (I am not sure
about the exact size of these numbers... try something...). Look if the
problem vanishes after such rescaling.

Don't ask me the same about the second email - I don't have the time to
explain that in detail.

Sorry,
Christian