[R] Warning from Rcmd check - data could not find data set

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 30 08:10:47 CEST 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> This is rw2010 from CRAN.
>
> When running Rcmd check
> on a package I get:
>
> Warning in utils::data(list = al, envir = data_env) :
>    data set 'vowel.test' not found
> Warning in utils::data(list = al, envir = data_env) :
>    data set 'vowel.train' not found
> Warning in utils::data(list = al, envir = data_env) :
>    data set 'waveform.test' not found
> Warning in utils::data(list = al, envir = data_env) :
>    data set 'waveform.train' not found
>

> However, I have no problem with this when using the package.
>
> This datasets are loaded, multiple datasets at a time, under another name.
> data(vowel)  loads the two first in the list above. Could it be this
> (which should be allowed, is mentioned in "writing R extensions")
> or is it something else, or a bug?

Such issues are probably best for R-devel.

There is nothing to reproduce here, which could well be considered a bug
in your posting.

It seems likely that your package's documentation has an alias for
'vowel.test' in a man page marked as \docType{data}, yet
data('vowel.test') does not work.  That seems like a bug in your package.
Using LazyData makes such things much more consistent.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk