[R] installing R-2.1.0 from source on Fedora Core 3 with tclt k

Tue Apr 26 15:41:36 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 09:05 -0400, Jonathan Baron wrote:
> I was able to compile R-2.0.0 successfully on another fc3
> computer, theoretically identical to the first three.  I'm sorry
> for starting this thread.
>
> It does seem that I had a problem that resulted from having only
> tk and tcl, but not tk-devel and tcl-devel.  Perhaps after I
> installed these I forgot to log out and log in again, so they
> weren't found.
>
> When I did it successfully, I installed the devel versions first,
> then logged in as root and did everything as root.  (Initially I
> had done only the very last step - make install - as root.)
> Probably this doesn't matter either.

Logging in and out should not be needed. The header files (installed
from the 'devel' RPMS) are installed in standard locations on Linux
(ie. /usr/include) as are the libraries (ie. /usr/lib) and these are
usually picked up by the configure script.

There is really nothing in terms of "environment" variables for example,
that would need to get updated via a logout/login cycle. Unlike Windows,
which for example can require a full re-boot when certain components get
installed, about the only time Linux needs a re-boot is to utilize a new
kernel. Otherwise the majority of system updates are done "hot".

When building from source, I do it all as a regular user and as you
reference above, then 'su' to root for the installation.

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz