[R] A basic question

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Tue Nov 30 15:26:43 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:58, Kenneth wrote:
> Hi R users:
>
> I want to know any experience compiling R in other LINUX distributions
> besides FEDORA (Red Hat) or Mandrake, for example in BSD, Debian,
> Gentoo, Slackware, vector LINUX, Knoppix, Yopper or CERN linux?
>
> Hope this is not a "basic question"
>
> Thank you for your help.

I assume that the following will typically work:
Get the source file, gunzip and untar, cd to the created directory and
type:

./configure
make
sudo make install

It is best to check the resulting configuration after ./configure and
get the software (compilers, libraries, packages, utilities) you need
for the missing functionality you want to have. It is also wise to run
'make check' after 'make' so that you see if you can trust your
compilation. This make check fails in some cases: at least standard
package 'foreign' failed 'make check' in ppc architecture both in Red
Hat/Fedora  based (Yellowdog) and Debian based (Ubuntu) Linuxes when I
tried last time. Otherwise the compilation seems to run smoothly (and
you may not need 'foreign').

BSD is not Linux, but R is officially supported at least for one version
of BSD with GNU tools: MacOS X.

cheers,jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>