[R] logistic regression and 3PL model

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 17:13:31 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, John Fox wrote:

> Pinheiro and Bates discuss a three-parameter logistic growth model in their
> Mixed Effects Models in S and S-PLUS, but as far as I know there's no direct
> way to fit the 3PL IRT model in R. It should be possible to fit such a model
> using one of the general optimisers in R, such as nlm() or optimise(), and I

optim(), not optimize() as there are at least two free parameters, I
believe.

> think that it would be a nice project to produce an IRT package for R.

As I understand it this is a logistic regression and not a logistic growth
curve, the latter being fitted by least squares.

For a known baseline (which is thus a 2-free PL model but what seems asked
for here), a glm family can be constructed to allow glm() to do the
fitting.  This is model described at

http://work.psych.uiuc.edu/irt/modeling_dich1.asp

with c known to be 0.25.  It would certainly be worth having an
implementation of that in R, with c=0.5 being the most common case.

It is quite straightforward to fit such models by direct optimization of
the likelihood, and MASS4 p. 445 gives you a template for logistic
regression that could easily be modified.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk