[R] logistic regression and 3PL model

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Nov 25 16:40:56 CET 2004

Dear Mike,

Pinheiro and Bates discuss a three-parameter logistic growth model in their
Mixed Effects Models in S and S-PLUS, but as far as I know there's no direct
way to fit the 3PL IRT model in R. It should be possible to fit such a model
using one of the general optimisers in R, such as nlm() or optimise(), and I
think that it would be a nice project to produce an IRT package for R.

Regards,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology