[R] R "sumo" package suggestion

Andrew Beckerman a.beckerman at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 11:28:08 CET 2004

One place to look, linked to the R development community, is the
Bioconductor project where their GetBioC() function has package
groupings (see http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R) as an option.
Perhaps, because of the specific focus of the Bioconductor suite, this
is easier, but at least a template with R functionality already exists.

andrew

On 12 Nov 2004, at 09:48, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think Achim suggestion is more realistic: it does not imply automatic
> installation of all packages, but just a restricted list of packages
> available on CRAN about a specific topic.
>
> An easy way to get this result is to propose separate lists of
> packages. It
> means separate lists than
> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html (and 'PACKAGES' in
> the
> Windows packages binaries). I don't see the problem to propose other
> lists
> that could be called 'SpatialStats.html' (in packages
> sources)/'SpatialStats' (in Windows binaries)... and the same for
> 'MachineLearning', 'Biostats', etc...
>
> Then, of course the various functions that install packages should be
> adapted to use these lists. It does not look like an unsurmontable
> task.
>
> Of course, if this is not done yet by the R Core Team, I presume that
> there
> must be difficulties that I don't see. It is obvious that, either we
> need a
> list maintainer for each topic, or we have to propose keywords for
> packages
> (similar to the keywords for functions) that will be used to
> automatically
> generate those separate lists.
>
> An alternative that can currently be used for groups of users in an
> institution is to maintain a local copy of R packages repository, which
> contains only the packages of interest for this group. I do so for my
> students. Under Windows, in the new R 2.0.1 beta, there is a new menu
> entry
> in packages -> Set CRAN mirror... (in my version it does not work yet,
> looking for a missing .\doc\CRAN_mirrors.csv file), but I can easily
> figure
> out how it works and how I could append my own repository to the list
> ease installation of a restricted list of R packages by my students.
> This is
> only for Windows, but a similar approach can also be used on other
> platforms
> with a little bit of coding.
>
> Best,
>
> Philippe
>
> ..............................................<°}))><........
>  ) ) ) ) )
> ( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
>  ) ) ) ) )
> ( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
>  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone
> ( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
>  ) ) ) ) )   6, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
> ( ( ( ( (
>  ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.33.12
> ( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
>  ) ) ) ) )
> ( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
>  ) ) ) ) )

---------
Dr. Andrew Beckerman
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield,
Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
ph +44 (0)114 222 0026; fx +44 (0)114 222 0002
http://www.shef.ac.uk/beckslab