[R] R "sumo" package suggestion

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Nov 12 10:48:04 CET 2004

Hello,

I think Achim suggestion is more realistic: it does not imply automatic
installation of all packages, but just a restricted list of packages
available on CRAN about a specific topic.

An easy way to get this result is to propose separate lists of packages. It
means separate lists than
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html (and 'PACKAGES' in the
Windows packages binaries). I don't see the problem to propose other lists
that could be called 'SpatialStats.html' (in packages
sources)/'SpatialStats' (in Windows binaries)... and the same for
'MachineLearning', 'Biostats', etc...

Then, of course the various functions that install packages should be
adapted to use these lists. It does not look like an unsurmontable task.

Of course, if this is not done yet by the R Core Team, I presume that there
must be difficulties that I don't see. It is obvious that, either we need a
list maintainer for each topic, or we have to propose keywords for packages
(similar to the keywords for functions) that will be used to automatically
generate those separate lists.

An alternative that can currently be used for groups of users in an
institution is to maintain a local copy of R packages repository, which
contains only the packages of interest for this group. I do so for my
students. Under Windows, in the new R 2.0.1 beta, there is a new menu entry
in packages -> Set CRAN mirror... (in my version it does not work yet,
looking for a missing .\doc\CRAN_mirrors.csv file), but I can easily figure
out how it works and how I could append my own repository to the list to
ease installation of a restricted list of R packages by my students. This is
only for Windows, but a similar approach can also be used on other platforms
with a little bit of coding.

Best,

Philippe

..............................................<°}))><........
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
 ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
 ) ) ) ) )   6, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
 ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.33.12
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
 ) ) ) ) )