[R] R under Pocket PC

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 17:36:44 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Tim Cutts wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2004, at 12:27 pm, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Lars Strand wrote:
> >
> >> Will R run under Windows Pocket PC?
> >
> > We don't know!
> >
> > There are no binary versions of R for that platform, but perhaps you
> > could
> > find a suitable compiler and manage to build the sources.
> >
> > Outside pure mathematics it is usually very hard to establish that
> > something cannot be done (and it can be very hard in pure mathematics,
> > too).
>
> Do PocketPCs generally have enough memory to run something as big as R?

Yes -- have you not seen the size of SD cards these days?  An R for
Windows install is under 50Mb and needs about 12Mb RAM to run.

>   A standard R install requires a lot of storage space, by PDA
> standards...
>
> Technically, I don't suppose there's much to stop R running on some
> PDAs, especially those based on Linux like the Sharp Zaurus, other than
> storage and memory requirements.  If there's a Qt graphical interface
> available for R, you could even get graphics working on the Zaurus,
> potentially.

That was not the question.

> The Windows API on Pocket PC is quite a reduced subset
> compared to full Windows, so you might have problems with that.

But that was.  However, as I said, you would have to find a suitable
compiler or cross-compiler, that supports enough features (and I suspect
IEEE arithmetic would be a problem, especially as it is for VC++ on full
Windows).

Perhaps you would like to write such a compiler, as technically there's
not much to stop you?

> PalmOS would probably be right out.  :-)

I think you are belittling the work done to get R running on as wide a
range of platforms as it does.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk