[R] R under Pocket PC

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 17:06:19 CET 2004

On 9 Nov 2004, at 12:27 pm, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Lars Strand wrote:
>
>> Will R run under Windows Pocket PC?
>
> We don't know!
>
> There are no binary versions of R for that platform, but perhaps you
> could
> find a suitable compiler and manage to build the sources.
>
> Outside pure mathematics it is usually very hard to establish that
> something cannot be done (and it can be very hard in pure mathematics,
> too).

Do PocketPCs generally have enough memory to run something as big as R?
  A standard R install requires a lot of storage space, by PDA
standards...

Technically, I don't suppose there's much to stop R running on some
PDAs, especially those based on Linux like the Sharp Zaurus, other than
storage and memory requirements.  If there's a Qt graphical interface
available for R, you could even get graphics working on the Zaurus,
potentially.  The Windows API on Pocket PC is quite a reduced subset
compared to full Windows, so you might have problems with that.  PalmOS
would probably be right out.  :-)

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute