[R] RE: SCO & R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri May 28 19:51:23 CEST 2004

      The intellectual property questions raised by the GNU General
Public License (GPL) are under active discussion in PDF Solutions, where
Sundar Dorai-Raj and I work.  Sundar and I have recommended linking PDF
commercial software to R.  However, we have to be careful how we do
this, because the GPL requires that the source for "all derivative
works" be made public.  Unfortunately, it seems unclear exactly what
constitutes a "derivative work", although the GPL states that it does
not apply to "independent and separate works ... when you distribute
them as separate works."

       Does anyone have information on this, beyond the groklaw and
Forbes items already mentioned?  For example, are there good examples to
follow, or are all the published case studies negative like those
already been mentioned?

      It seems to me that a commercial company could comply with the GPL
without jeopardizing its ability to pay employees and stockholders by
distributing its  software in two, separately installed pieces:  The
first would provide the base, commercial, proprietary software under a
commercial license.  The second would include all components distributed
under the GPL license, and would add capabilities to the first.  I think
something like this would benefit both the R Foundation and commercial
software distributors.  However, our legal department has yet to rule on
this, and our management is not eager to move without the blessing of
our corporate legal. Therefore, more solid information, published case
studies, etc., would help.

      Thanks,
      spencer graves