[R] RE: SCO & R

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri May 28 18:04:54 CEST 2004

My $.02 (sorry, couldn't resist).

This is but one skirmish in the whole vexatious battle on "intellectual property
rights," which extends from software to many other venues, one of the most
interesting of which is patents on human genes. An example I heard on the radio
this morning was eHarmony.com patenting their algorithm for matchmaking, which,
the commentator said, is based on a 431 item questionnaire (yet another reason to
celebrate my long marriage; 431 questions -- yikes!) ! Needless to say, the
potential fodder for editorializing both for and against this intrusion of
"scientific method" into romance seems limitless. Do you think support vector
machines or neural nets lurk in the background of their "algorithm"?

Anyway, the only predictions that I think it safe to make are: (1) We have only
begun to fight -- and, yes, seeming samaritans (or is it samurai?) like R and GPL
may yet have to engage; (2) advances in technology will only turn the heat up and
pose yet more problems, as we move relentlessly from "thingy" inventions running
our world to 'idea-y" inventions running it.

Matchmaking, anyone?

(Thanks for your indulgence).

Cheers,
Bert