[R] Sorting Data?

Martin Klaffenboeck martin.klaffenboeck at gmx.at
Fri May 28 19:48:55 CEST 2004

Am 28.05.2004 15:18:58 schrieb(en) Jonathan Baron:

> >Also the other things.
> >
> >I have to test the hypothesis:  Does a daugther answer the questions
> >(semantic differential) more equal the own mother and more different
> >the mothers of the other daugthers.
>
> I don't think this is a trivial problem at all, so I am hesitant
> to offer advice.  I see now that you reall do want a matrix,
> where you have mothers in the columns and daughters in the rows,
> and distance (difference, similarity) measures in the cells.
> Perhaps you have several such measures, so you want a
> three-dimensional array.

Hm.  I don't know.  I tried the following:

Creating a new Variable by:

Fbg[['F.gesamt']] <- rowSums(Fbg[11:27], na.rm=TRUE)

Which contains everything from F01 to F17 as sum().

Than I do the thing to split mothers from daugthers as you told me.
The next step i get:

dist(Muetter['F.gesamt'] - Toechter['F.gesamt'])

Which gives me some output, where I am not sure what it is.  ;-(

But it looks like the thing I want, but I think I don't really have the
right data inside.

> You might do something like this.  First define a function to
> measure your distance, like
>
> Itemdist <- function(x,y) {sum(abs(x[-(1:4)]-y[-(1:4)]))}
>
> Dists <- matrix(NA,nrow(Daughters),nrow(Mothers))
>
> for (i in 1:nrow(Daughters)
>  {for (j in 1:nrow(Mothers))
>   {Dists[i,j] <- Itemdist(Daughters[i,],Mothers[j,])}}

Hm. I get some syntax errors inside this.  If you want you can have my
small sample I'm now createing a source file about.  There I have 12
mother daugther pairs.  I will get about 20 pairs within the next two
months, but then I will have my source file (loading by source("file.
R")) ready.  The small sample is just to work now.

Thanks for your help,
Martin