[R] mixed models for analyzing survey data with unequal selec tion probability

Baskin, Robert RBaskin at ahrq.gov
Thu May 20 16:25:03 CEST 2004

Han-Lin

I don't think I have seen a reply so I will suggest that maybe you could try
a different approach than what you are thinking about doing.  I believe the
current best practice is to use the weights as a covariate in a regression
model - and bytheway - the weights are the inverse of the probabilities of
selection - not the probabilities.

Fundamentally, there is a difficulty in making sense out of 'random effects'
in a finite population setting.

(plagiarized from some unknown source)
See: < 9. Pfeffermann, D. , Skinner, C. J. , Holmes, D. J. , Goldstein, H. ,
and Rasbash, J.  (1998), ``Weighting for unequal selection probabilities in
multilevel models (Disc: p41-56)'', Journal of the Royal Statistical
Society, Series B, Methodological, 60 , 23-40 >

which refers back to:
<29. Pfeffermann, D. , and LaVange, L.  (1989), ``Regression models for
stratified multi-stage cluster samples'', Analysis of Complex Surveys,
237-260 >

If you don't like statistical papers, then see section 4.5 of <8. Korn,
Edward Lee , and Graubard, Barry I.  (1999), ``Analysis of health surveys'',
John Wiley & Sons (New York; Chichester) > They explain the idea of using
weights in a model fairly simply.

Bob