[R] How to restore and edit saved graphics?

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 17 03:58:34 CEST 2004

Hi

Shin, Daehyok wrote:
> Thanks for the interesting solution.
> I am happy to find a way to save all graphic options into a file.
> There is a minor glitch.
> Is there is any way to replace title, not to overwrite it?
> And if I want to change the color of a line or the ranges of x or y axis,
> how can I do it with the restored plot?

The grid graphics package provides support for this sort of thing.  If
you have R 1.9.0 there are some vignettes describing grid and how to do
this sort of thing in grid -- see vignette("grid") and
vignette("interactive") for a start.

This may or may not be sufficient for your purposes right now -- grid
doesn't give you any high-level plots and, although the lattice package
does give you high-level plots, it doesn't make use of the bits of grid
that would allow this sort of interaction just yet (we're working on it)
-- so its immediate usefulness will depend on what you're trying to do.

Paul

> Interestingly, there is no mention about  dev.control() in the help document
> of recordPlot(). I think it should be there.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Daehyok Shin (Peter)

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics