[R] How to restore and edit saved graphics?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 16 18:38:21 CEST 2004

The display list on a screen device is enabled unless you explicitly
disable it, and if you know how to do that you will understand the help
for recordPlot, which says that it saves the display list so there had
better be one.

I suspect only a handful of R users have ever used dev.control and I am
not one of them.  I only added the ability to re-enable the display list
for a single user's very specific problem.

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Shin, Daehyok wrote:

> Thanks for the interesting solution.

But it is not a solution.  You asked how to `restore and edit saved
graphs'.  recordPlot saves graphs, and does not allow you to edit them.

> I am happy to find a way to save all graphic options into a file.
> There is a minor glitch.
> Is there is any way to replace title, not to overwrite it?
> And if I want to change the color of a line or the ranges of x or y axis,
> how can I do it with the restored plot?
>
> Interestingly, there is no mention about  dev.control() in the help document
> of recordPlot(). I think it should be there.

See above.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk