[R] numericDeriv

Ravi Varadhan rvaradha at jhsph.edu
Mon May 3 18:12:58 CEST 2004

Hi All:

Along the lines of this thread, I was wondering about the usefulness of
putting together a package for numerical differentiation, to perform
tasks such as gradient, jacobian, and hessian calculations for exact
functions, as well as for noisy functions (via some type of smoothing).
Based on finite difference calculus, I have written a number of
(simple) R functions for gradient, jacobian, and hessian computations
of different orders of accuracy.  If such functions aren't already
available, I could supply these to whoever may be interested in
undertaking this project.

Best,
Ravi.