[R] loess parameters

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 14:03:08 CET 2004

You are probably running out of memory address space.  Can you

1) Try this in 1.9.0 beta which gives a more informative error message,
and

2) Use traceback() and the debugging tools to locate the error more
exactly.

3) Consider using the options to loess to reduce the load.  Loess is not
designed for smoothing a 2D grid and you appear only to want the fitted
values at your grid.  If so, try the fitted() extractor function.
(Or the residual()  extractor function if all you want are residuals.)