[R] do.call and environments

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Mar 11 02:41:04 CET 2004

Tony,

I played with your solution some more and found
that it can be reduced to:

fx <- function(y) print(x*y)
f <- function(fun, x) {
        environment(fun) <- environment()
        fun(3)
}
f(fx,2)

---

Date:   Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:56:28 -0700
From:   Tony Plate <tplate at blackmesacapital.com>
To:   <petzoldt at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>,R-Help <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Subject:   Re: [R] do.call and environments

The reason in your example that fx() doesn't find 'x' is that the lexical
scope of fx() does not include 'x'. So, this is what must be fixed, in one
way or another.

One simple way to make your example work is to define fx() in a place where
its lexical scope includes the variables you want it to see:

> f <- function(fun, xx) {
+ x <- xx
+ fxx <- function() do.call(fun, list(y=3))
+ fx <- function(y) print(x*y)
+ fxx()
+ }
> x # verify that x is not a global variable!
Error: Object "x" not found
> f("fx", 13)
[1] 39

Another way, that is probably more suited to what you want (since it sounds
like you don't have control over where fx() is defined), is to make a local
copy of fx(), and change its environment:

> fx <- function(y) print(x*y)
>
> f <- function(fun, xx) {
+ x <- xx
+ fxx <- function() do.call(fun, list(y=3))
+ fx <- fx
+ environment(fx) <- environment()
+ fxx()
+ }
> x # verify that x is not a global variable!
Error: Object "x" not found
> f("fx", 13)
[1] 39

I suspect there is also some way to do this using eval() and its envir=
and/or enclos= arguments, but I couldn't get anything like this to work.

The above solutions were generated by manual genetic programming (i.e.,
trial and error), so they may not be particularly good or
elegant. However, I'm sure that others will point out both any problems
with these suggestions and some better solutions!

hope this helps,

Tony Plate