[R] Question about plotting related to roll-up

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Jun 30 18:27:29 CEST 2004

boxplot(Response_time ~ seconds, data = my.data.frame)

Coburn Watson <cpwww <at> comcast.net> writes:

:
: Hello R'ers,
:
: I have a large set of data which has many y samples for each unit x.  The
data
: might look like:
:
: Seconds	Response_time
: ----------    ----------------
: 0			0.150
: 0			0.202
: 0			0.065
: 1			0.110
: 1			0.280
: 2			0.230
: 2			0.156
: 3			0.070
: 3			0.185
: 3			0.255
: 3			0.311
: 3			0.120
: 4
: .... and so on
:
: When I do a basic plot with type=l or the default of points it obviously
plots
: every point.  What I would like to do is generate a line plot where the
: samples for each second are rolled up, averged and plotted with a bar which
: represents either std dev or some other aspect of variance.  Can someone
: recommend a plotting mechanism to achieve this?  I have adding lines using
: some of the smoothing functions but seem unable to remove the original plot
: line which is drawn (is there a way to just plot the data as feed through
the
: smoothing function without the original data?).
:
: Please remove "_nospam" from the email address to reply directly to me.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Coburn Watson
: Software Performance Engineering
: DST Innovis
:
: R-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
: https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help