[R] Installing on Windows packages build on Unix

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jun 28 00:06:53 CEST 2004

Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> writes:

> > Your Windows using friend can convert the "tar.gz" file to
> > "zip" using the open-source utility "7-zip". Available at
> > http://www.7-zip.org/  It doesn't conform to many Windows
> > conventions, so reading the help files will be necessary.
> > I found that it was necessary to extract a "tar.gz" file
> > twice, once to extract from "gz" and again for "tar".
>
> Ack! No!
>
> Windows packages are *binary* packages, Unix's are *source* packages.

Ooops, wait a minute. We can also build binaries on Unix with "R CMD
build --binary", and they *will* be .tar.gz files. I get a rather
peculiar error message from Perl if I try, but I do get the file and
it seems that the content is equivalent to that in the zip file I
described. (Of course you can always convert .tar.gz to .zip on Unix:
just unpack with tar and repack with zip -- just be careful where you
do it or you'll end up overwriting files!)