[R] Novice question: Smooth interpolation of survival curve

Mark Nye Nye04 at gw.medctr.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jun 21 17:20:42 CEST 2004

Greetings,
How might one go about generating a smooth interpolation of a survival
curve generated by the survfit function in the survival package? I am
able to package my variables by standard methods

>x<-(survfit(Surv(time),data)

and plot the "step" curve, but would like to obtain a smooth estimation
curve for the purpose of approximating survival time between steps on
the survival curve. Is there a function in the survival package to
perform this task? I have looked into other standard smoothing methods,
but it seems to me that the survfit function doesn't allow for the
packaging of data into separate vectors, such as would be required by
approxfun et al.

Many thanks,
Mark