[R] Average R-squared of model1 to model n

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Jun 7 14:35:14 CEST 2004

The Y1, Y2, etc. that Kan mentioned are predicted values of a test set data
from models that supposedly were fitted to the same (or similar) data.  It's
hard for me to imagine the outcome would be as `severe' as Y1 = -Y2.

That said, I do not think that the R-squared (or q-squared as some call it)
of the aggregate model is necessarily larger or equal to the average
R-squared of the component models.  It obviously depends on how the
component models are generated.  As a hypothetical example (because I
haven't acutally tried it, just speculating):  Suppose the data are
generated from a step function, the sort that would be perfect for
regression trees.  If one grows several well-pruned trees, I'd guess that
the average R-squared of the individual trees has a chance of being larger
than the R-squared of the averaged model.

Best,
Andy