[R] X11 device problem on linux: 100% cpu usage

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jul 26 14:25:30 CEST 2004

David Whiting wrote:

> I'm using R 1.9.1 (patched, 5th July) on linux
> (Mandrake 9.2) and am having a problem with the X11()
> device. Trying to plot(1:10) results in my CPU going
> to 100%

> I'm not sure where to start with identifying the
> cause. Can someone suggest some things that I should
> look at?

  First off, you can try and figure out if its the client (R) or the
server (your X-windows display server).

  Can you connect to your problem machine from another host (preferably
one with a different Linux distro, or different X server) and run R,
sending the graphics over the network. Does it still cause your problem
machine to go slow? Then its something on the client side.

  If that works fine, then its something to do with the X server on the
problem machine. Or an interaction term between client and server!

Baz