[R] SMP, Single System Image clustering, multithreading

Khamenia, Valery V.Khamenia at biovision-discovery.de
Tue Jul 13 11:04:32 CEST 2004

Hi All,

  I have looked through the following thread:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/02b/4551.html

  and would like to ask after 1.5 year the same question:

  Are there any plans to involve multithread
  computations in R?

Few word about my motivation:

  I use R on my OpenSSI cluster with 7 CPUs, so one
  could simply think of this cluster as of single computer
  with 7 CPU. My own C++ maths run good in parallel
  on the cluster. What is even better for me: my C++ code
  has *no* any statements about parallelization.
  All parallezation is done at command line. When I
  start a new piece of calculation from command line,
  the process is migrated to a free cluster node
  automatically, it migrates even during the calculation.

  The whole project is calculated nearly up to 7 time
  quicker then on a single CPU. Thus, I do see the boost
  clearly.

  However the same approach applied to R will force me
  to use batch mode instead of nice interactive mode.

  Now I am writing this mail and R is still busy with
  stats in usual interactive mode. Other 6 processors
  are idling unfortunately. It would be really nice
  to change this situation.

my best regards,
Valery.