[R]Running R remotely in Windows Environment?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 08:53:33 CET 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Jim Porzak wrote:

> We are considering setting up a fast, RAM loaded machine as an "R-server"
> to handle the big problems not suitable for individual desktops and, also,
> to process ad hoc analysis requests via our portal. We are 99% a Windows
> shop, so first choice is a windows server. We'll use (D)COM for the portal
> interface and understand that.
>
> What has me stumped is how to easily interface individual analyst's Windows
> desktops to the R-server. I haven't seen anything in the archives, but I
> can't imagine this hasn't been done. What am I missing?

R is not designed to be client-server on Windows.  People I know who do
this use Windows Terminal Server or Citrix.

I would question the value of this approach.  Unless you propose to run
64-bit Windows, a `RAM loaded' machine isn't `loaded', and R under Windows
handles large amounts of memory much less effectively than under Linux.
64-bit Windows is uncharted territory for R, whereas 64-bit Unix/Linux is
well trodden.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk