[R] locale problem in W98

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 09:26:08 CET 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Petr Pikal wrote:

> Hallo
>
> On 7 Jan 2004 at 17:32, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> > What happens if you
> >
> > 1) source() a file containing those characters.
> it was the same
>
> > 2) Use Rterm?
> did not try it

Please do so: is it so very hard?

> > 3) Change the fonts both for the console and for graphics.  Is this
> > the same for all fonts?
>
> I tried and now it is ok. It helped to change Courier New to
> Courier and to add CE to some font declaration as Times New
> Roman CE.
>
> BTW I tried help.search("font") and went through Rsite search
> but nothing pointed me to correct solution (Rdevga, Rconsole).

It is in the rw-FAQ, Q6.2!  Note your search term did not describe your
problem, which is with encodings, not just fonts, but the chapter in the
rw-FAQ

6 The R Console and Fonts
check the FAQs before posting.  I don't understand how you read through
the rw-FAQ and missed this.

> Adding "For some locale font problems see also Rdevga,
> Rconsole" would be great let say in Hershey font page.

But this has nothing to do with Hershey fonts.  It is entirely and only to
do with the fact that the fonts you selected for normal (not vector)
graphics and the console lack the encoding you were trying to use on your
obselete version of Windows.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk